Colin: An oddity. I like that. Maybe I'll start referring to you as the oddity. Better than the hooker references*
Me : I always liked the term quirky better than oddity. Oddity makes me sound like a freak.
Colin: Quirky sounds nerdy though. You have a silliness quality about you that subverts nerdiness.
Me: I think quirky is nerdy too, but like in a cute way. And i'm not sure if being called silly is a compliment :p
Colin: Yeah. I'm not sure either
(excerpts of email conversations between Colin Stewart and myself)
I've just read a book review of a teenaged author who wrote about... well, teenagers. She said something about how teenagers are always struggling to fit in. To find themselves.
I don't think the struggle ends when you leave high school. I don't think it even ends at the end of your teenage years. I know i'm still sufferring from the above syndrome. Four years past high school, and two years into adulthood, and i'm still finding myself an oddity amongst the common. I've never been much to complain about it though. The label 'weird' has never bothered me much. I suppose that in itself makes me weird enough for the masses.
Yet, being different also leads to being alone. The chances of meeting people who either tolerate or find you fun is hard enough. Try finding someone who likes your weirdness. Chances? Next to zilch. And when you actually do, the usual trappings of relationships will come and mess things up.
So you end up where you began. Alone.
Best described by Radiohead's brilliant Freak. Enjoy.
*Hooker reference= Colin's way of saying that i'm a precious commodity that shouldn't sell herself short to any boy just cause i'm bored.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
I don't belong here.
Posted by Tharish at 6:43 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Hmmm...sometimes I wonder if I am real, or the people around me is real. Then I got scared, and just ignore that thought. LOL...
I am weird...
Oh, u've finally corrected my link! Bravo on that! ;)
Post a Comment