I'd like all the non-debaters to imagine four debate tournaments as four shots of tequila knocked down back-to-back.
Painfully searing your throat, heady rush, pressure and most of all- a challenge.
The training. The pressure. The intensity. The anxiety. There's nothing quite like it.
My experiences this time around?
The social side reflected the performance at the tournaments. It was down and up for social life, exact opposite for debate performance. Everyone knows that without the social side as a side-show, not many would come for the main show that's full of stress and anxiety.
I've had the crushing pain of losing. I've also had the unnatural high of winning something so unexpected. And i've learnt to try to accept. Give me some time, maybe grace will follow.
Can't say i did too bad. The first two tourneys reflected that. The last two however, were just dismal. I've learnt my lesson though, about certain adjudicators. I'll take a certain NUS debater's words to heart.
Well, it's over now, and will be over for some time. I'm concentrating on Jessup Moots, and my studies.
And more importantly, i'll be concentrating on my relationships. Concentrate on everyone who have been ceremoniously neglected by myself due to the hectic lifestyle of a debater+mooter. My family, via my dad, has given me an earful about the importance of family. My friends have been quiet, but my guilt about neglecting them hasn't been as quiet. Thus, the imperative need to amend this. In a way, losing this has also made me feel like i've lost a little of me along the way.
So its time for priorities. And actually following them.
Cheers to the New Year people.
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Four shots. In a row.
Posted by Tharish at 4:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment